Safety is very important in the automotive shop. Knowing and following all your safety rules can help prevent injury and damage. There are many different little sections of safety in the shop for example, gasoline handling, housekeeping, general shop, fire, and hazardous materials. Its recommended for the people to first know the rules and later apply them as they go on. There are also laws involved regarding hazardous waste disposals. So there fore they have to know the proper disposal methods.
The Occupational Safety and Health Act was passed down by the United States government in 1970. This act is to teach the citizens of the United States about safety and good working conditions, and also providing them with information and training about safety and health.
Shop hazards can be avoided by following the safety rules and procedures of the shop. Here are some hazards.
* Flammable liquids must be stored properly away from fire.
* Batteries contain corrosive sulfuric acid solution and produce explosive hydrogen gas while charging.
* All types of liquids can be harmful either to the skin or eyes.
*High-pressure air can be very dangerous if penetrates the skin and goes into bloodstream
* Electrical equipment and lights may result in electrical shock.
* Carbon monoxide from vehicle exhaust is poisonous.
* Loose clothing, jewelry, long hair may entangle in rotating parts causing serious injury.
* High noise levels from shop equipment can be harmful to the ears.
* Oil, grease, water in shop floors can cause someone to slip and fall causing injury.
Personal protection in the automotive shop. Here is some equipment you should and should not wear.
* Always wear safety goggles or face shield in the shop.
* Wear ear plugs or covers if high noise is encountered.
* Always wear boots or shoes to provide foot protection, and falling.
* Do not wear watches jewelry or rings when working on a vehicle.
* Wear a respirator when working in dusty conditions.
Electrical safety is good to know to be aware of what can happen.
* Frayed cords on electrical equipment must be replaced or repaired immediately.
* All electric cords from lights and electric equipment must have a ground connection. Three-prong electrical outlets should be mandatory in all shops.
* Do not leave electrical equipment running and unattended.
Gasoline safety is very important because it is an explosive liquid. The most dangerous part about gasoline its the expanding vapors. The vapors in gasoline tanks are controlled but the ones from the gasoline storage containers arent. Here are some facts about gasoline.
* Always use the proper gasoline containers that are painted red for proper identification.
* Do not fill gasoline containers completely to the top, because gasoline expands at high temperatures.
* Store gasoline in a very ventilated area. Except in home or in the trunk of your car.
* Do not prime an engine with gasoline while cranking the engine.
* Never use gasoline as a cleaning agent.
Housekeeping safety is very important. Its necessary to keep the floor clean. Always keep the shop neat, pick up tools and parts, and dont leave creepers lying on the floor. All sewer covers must fit properly and be kept securely in place.
Fire extinguishers are always needed in a shop. Everyone in the shop must know where it is located, and how to use it. First, get close to the fire without risking your own safety. Grab firmly and aim at fire. Pull pin and squeeze handle to dispense the contents of the extinguisher. Keep in mind that most extinguishers discharge their contents in 8 to 25 seconds.
There should always be a first-aid kit in the classroom. These kits are made up of bandages and ointment required for minor cuts. A person should always be in charge of the first-aid kit and always keeping it full.
In conclusion safety is very important to know once you enter a shop. If you do not know the proper procedures you may get seriously injured.