1. 10% of world population follow Buddhism.
2. Buddhism religion is practiced in mostly Asian countries.
3. The real name of Buddha was Siddhartha Gautama.
4. Buddhism is approximately 2,500 years old religion.
5. After he became buddha his name was changed to Gautama.
6. The word ‘Buddha’ means ‘awakened one’.
7. Buddha was from royal family, he was brought up as prince.
8. At the age of 29 the royal price left the palace in search of enlightenment and
9. He was born in 5th or 6th century B.C. in Lumbini(Nepal).
10. The buddha was from Hindu family so, so many teachings are related to Hinduism but the difference is Buddhism religion have less or no believe in presence of god.
11. He started meditation, fasting, he suffered but it did not decrease the sufferings in the world.
12. He decided to sat under the BO tree and mediated for 49 days and finally he attained enlightenment.
13. The was enlightened with four truths- all life is marked with suffering, the cause of suffering is desire and attachment, suffering can be eliminated and the path to Nirvana consists of eight steps, which is called the Eightfold Path.
14. The Eightfold Path to Nirvana is to be right in these areas- mindfulness, concentration, views, speech, resolve, action, efforts and livelihood.
15. After enlightenment, he started teaching others about how to be enlightened.
16. The Swastika is considered auspicious in Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism.
17. Buddhism believing in finding truth in everything.
18. Buddhism believes in reincarnation.
19. The present Dalai Lama was elected to the place when he was 2 years old, and officially recognized as the 14th Dalai Lama when he was 4 years old.
20. Buddha believes that it is not necessary to follow his believes and path rather he said that one should think freely and deeply.
21. Buddhist monk don’t kill any insect or animals, avoid violence and never hurt anyone.
22. Many Buddhist monks master martial arts in monasteries.
23. Buddha believed that both man and woman are equal, anyone can attain his teachings.
24. Buddhism believes in Karma, whatever you do it will come to you.
25. Myanmar there is the Tongbai Pagoda, in which there are 582,357 Buddha statues.
26. There were no written texts by Buddhists, there were only stories that were inherited.
27. The teachings of Buddha were written down 100s of years after his death.
28. The famous King Asoka killed more than 20,000 people in a battle, he was so disturbed by the dead bodies that he left everything and followed Buddhism.
29. Buddhism clearly says to respect the nature and to keep the environment clean.
30. Buddhism teaches us that any mistake can be correct if you realize it.
31. The top 3 tallest statues in the world are of Buddha.
32. Mahayana and Theravada are two major school of Buddhism.
33. Buddhism regards people as part of nature, not separated from it or higher than nature.
34. Some monks of Japan practice self-mummification.
35. Some Buddhists practice sky burial. After the death of a Buddhist the dead body is left for vultures to feed on.
36. Steve Job visited India in search of enlightenment and he adopted Buddhism religion.
37. Buddhism is 4th most popular and followed religion in the world.
38. There are scientific proofs that the meditation really changes the brain waves of monks, it keeps them happy.
39. Buddhists believes that Gautama Buddha was not the first Buddha there were 27 Buddhas before him.
40. After the crimination of Buddha his ashes was distributed among his Indian followers. And ashes were buried in different part of India.
41. The teaching allows monks to eat only at a certain time – from dawn until 12 noon.
42. The ultimate goal of the Buddhism is to end the sufferings and cycle of rebirth. The Buddhist believe in 3 Jewels- the Buddha, teachings of Buddha and monasteries.
43. Monks vow celibacy and abstinence from any sexual relations.
44. Due to lack of any reliable resources and texts, the actual date and birth pace of Buddha is not fully known.
45. Famous personalities like Steven Seagal, Richard Gere, Sarah Jessica Parker and many others follow Buddhism.
46. ‘The Laughing Buddha’ is not the Buddha but he is the character of Chinese folklore called ‘Budai’.
47. Buddha was not a God but he was a teacher.
48. Anyone can practice Buddhism, it is a ritual or simply as a philosophical view.
49. Most of the status of Buddha have half open eyes, it shows the meditation position of him.
50. There is a widespread belief that the Buddhists are vegan. But it’s not true, if someone offer them meat, they can take it, unless no animal is killed intentionally to feed them.
51. Buddhism offers antidotes to laziness.
52. Buddhist temples are called Vihara, and there are meditation room, lecture hall and a library in it.
53. As Buddhist monks owns nothing, people provide food to them.
54. When Buddha was asked to summarize his teachings, he replied ‘awareness’.
55. After the birth of Buddha, many people of India believed that he is the reincarnation of Lord Indra or Lord Brahma.
56. Buddhism don’t believe in essential soul or self.
57. Buddha died at the age of 80 in Kushinagar, India.
58. According to Buddhism, there is Jesus to save person from his sins.
59. Buddha died lying between two Sal trees, which bloomed unseasonal after his death.
60. Anyone can be Buddha but after enlightenment.
1. 10% of world population follow Buddhism.